Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Courage to share

courage

I recently had the pleasure of witnessing a transformation in one of my classes. Before my very eyes, the students had morphed into a community of scholars, argumentative yet respectful of each other's ideas, engaged with the material yet still open to being persuaded to re-think their own views. They shared arguments they had made in a recent assignment, they referenced readings from a class given last semester, they called on knowledge acquired in related courses.

It was magic. What transformed this group, I believe, was trust -- trust in each other and in the learning space they had created for themselves, trust in the process of a truly student-centered education. Most importantly, I saw students trust themselves enough to take intellectual risks. It is a remarkable little community of scholars that has coalesced out of 24 random enrolments.

I cannot imagine a better way to spend my life than sharing ideas and debating with my students.

I cannot imagine a more powerful moment than when I slip so easily out of the role of teacher into the role of learner as my students share their lives, thoughts and passions with me, and graciously allow me to share mine with them.

Retirement beckons a short five years hence.

And I cannot imagine that first day of retirement ... without my students.

No comments: