Monday, January 21, 2008

Transformed

apple logo It has happened.

Sometime during the weekend, the change crept over me, like dusk sidling up to day. It was never supposed to be like this.

Students often produce their creative projects for me in Mac format, so after at least 25 years of resisting it, I purchased a Macbook on Friday. It was for convenience, so I could read their work, and I could also dabble in the kind of creative process they were using and thus better understand their journey.

It was cute; a little white block and I must admit, I was impressed -- take it out of the box and thwwwzzziipppppppp! it worked. Found the wireless network, was fully charged, needed no multi-disk setup. It worked. And the aesthetics of its design were rather pleasing, from the charger plug with its fold-out cable coiler to the clever little battery button on the bottom. Hmmm, I allowed, well-designed, well thought-out.

Saturday night, I found myself cradling that little Macbook as I fell asleep.

It has happened.

I love my Mac.

Who am I NOW???

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Hi Barry,
I think we are not 'transformed',
we just learned a new lecture...
A computer can be super functional, well thought-out AND good looking at the same time. Let's say we are in a big process of rethinking :-)

Andrea
(...looking at her iMac ...)

Robbie Vize said...

Most of Apple's detractors don't like them because of their "apparent" focus on aesthetics, when every company hires designers and engineers to look a certain way.

Apple's are nice, but they can bite. The DRM management in iTunes is horrible (only allowed to share your music on 5 other computers that must be registered). There are some other quibbles I have with them, but in general it's their seeming simplicity which draws me to them personally. Once you get to know it better, the simplicity turns into a...maybe more immersive computing experience. hahaha