Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Final Post


 

 
Well, it has been one hell of a roller coaster ride, hasn't it? From October 18 until today, December 7, we have shared this space emotionally, viscerally: 7 weeks, 35 posts. Today it ends. I am going to pick up the unraveled threads of my work and finish my marking before grades are due. I can now turn my thoughts to a more deliberate celebration of the Christmas Feast than I had thought would be possible. And I will spend many, many moments over the holidays, lost in my thoughts over a mug of coffee or a pot of tea, trying to ascertain what I take with me from this experience. Some things are already clear to me:

  • I have learned that I am first and foremost a teacher, for whom the thought of leaving my students for the picket line is the source of tremendous emotional distress.
  • I have learned that open and honest communication with my students, with all students is vital for my university.
  • I have learned how to better interpret the lexicon of negotiating. It is a language hitherto outlandish to most of us at Brock, but we are now ruefully more fluent in its Byzantine twists.
  • I have watched my Faculty Association come of age. BUFA has been tempered in the crucible of robust challenge and has emerged the stronger for the tempering.
To the students who left comments, both laudatory and critical, I congratulate you on taking the time to express your views and to make a difference. To all those students who participated by sitting in, by writing letters and e-mails, by stopping to discuss the issues at the information pickets, by asking tough questions at the BUFA Info Session, by drawing editorial cartoons, by wearing a BUFA button (or a BUFA button that had been crossed out!) and also by discussing the strike issues with your friends and professors, I applaud your engagement. Time for me to take my dog for a walk. Good night and good bye.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys have really pissed a lot of students off...I speak for one of many...

well it looks like your going to have little trouble filling up your volvos, smartcars, and volkswagons up now...

next time just don't cry wolf so loud... it looks really bad on brock and very unprofessional.

Anonymous said...

How dare the jerk who just posted say that profs cried wolf! When admin refused to talk, what else is a person supposed to think? If anything, be angry with the big wigs at the top, because they could have avoided this MONTHS ago. Wait 2 years when this is up again, and then decide who to be angry with.

Anonymous said...

Whether I agree or disagree with BUFA or the Administration, I would like to thank Prof. Joe for creating this blog. It is nice to get the other side to an important issue.
What is great about this type of communication, is that it offers anyone the opportunity to voice their opinion, which we don't often get to do.
As a fifth year student at Brock, this was my first choice of school and still is. I have never had negative experiences with Brock until this year, but I understand that this is not just a Brock problem, but a province-wide problem. I'm sure the Carleton students were just as stressed as we were.
Although, I can't help thinking that this situation has put off many 1st year students and parents. I would not be surprised if retention rates fell next year - as I'm sure they did with the whole Lowenberger drama did.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this blog and giving us a source of information at times when nobody else would. Thank you also for your support and encouragement at the tower, and thank you for sharing your thoughts openly with the Brock community.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Prof Joe for being there for us when no one else was!!! Enjoy the holidays!

Anonymous said...

I must say, BWKJ, these are some advanced poetic musings with a trace of beauty arriving form the cosmos in regard to blue collar means of the collective. Well done, Prof. Joe. Well done.

Hope all's well,
CdJ