Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Scenario for Students



Scenario: You are speaking to a prof who is explaining your interim grades before you hit the progress exam.

Prof: The spreadsheet numbers show you actually have an average of 80% BUT I do not permit those kinds of grades in my class -- the best you can do is 74%

Student: But I have earned an 80! And besides, I did all the extra assignments and the extra essay that were listed on the course outline!

Prof: Sorry! I just don't allow any grade to go past 74, no matter how good your work is. As for the extra work, didn't you know that I don't reward that kind of service? You should be grateful that you are enrolled in my class and that I am giving you a 74%!

***********************************************

And that is the scenario the administration is asking faculty to accept in the case of salary appropriate to rank, and in the case of thesis supervisions and directed readings.

Administration wants to cap salaries for each professorial rank at Brock. Thus, no matter how much you contribute to the university in the key areas of teaching, research and service, you will only ever be remunerated with a pre-determined amount. "But I earned that 80% ..."

Administration refuses to acknowledge unscheduled teaching and supervisions as part of faculty workload. So, in addition to having a salary cap, the administration wants faculty to continue to do all the extras, such as thesis supervision, directed reading courses
on our own time at our own expense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weak Analogy. You guys can always look for another job, but we have already paid for the full year. In this case we would be forced to just accept that, but you can always look for other places where you think you will be better rewarded.