Friday, April 03, 2009

It's Over

It was a day full of emotion for me, this April 3rd.

Last day of term - shouldn't there be at least a momentary gasp of relief? It was a very long winter, so should I not be feeling a weight lifting from my shoulders?

No feelings of relief, but rather a sweet melancholy that nuzzles my heart, a joyful narrative of triumphs ... in the past tense.

And there is also chest-swelling pride that peeks through at every opportunity. The growth, not only intellectual but also personal, that I was invited to witness in my students was unique, a process that can be seen only from the special vantage point of the classroom.

This is a year that I shall remember long after I have taken my leave of the university.

This was food for the soul.

1 comment:

Robbie Vize said...

I have written and erased, and written and erased and written and erased in this comment box, but nothing seems to be able to put my complex feelings, emotions, thoughts, etc. into words clearly enough. Maybe I don't have a firm grasp of the English language, or it could be, again, this damn language not being able to describe what is happening now in my head, and what happened this whole semester.

You inspired to much more than you are aware of. Our class may have been about narrative convergence, but I feel (and many others) that I learned so many more important lessons. It was a class on the redefinition of education, of ourselves and of the world.

You are living proof of the successes of the learning styles you speak of. We all believed in each other in that class, and we trusted you. I suppose it it fitting (for me at least) that it was my last class of my University career, as I will never have another class like it. There will be many more like it for you I am sure. I think a lot of will hold this class as the defining moment of our University life. Thank you!