Monday, October 30, 2006

Strike Vote

Last Wednesday, October 25, BUFA Executive held a strike vote at the Four Points Sheraton. 69% of the eligible membership turned out to vote.

The vote was 88% in favour of a strike.

The strike date has been set for December 5.

Believe me, this was a very difficult decision for faculty to make. I can't count the times colleagues have explained publicly that hurting or inconveniencing the students is the last thing they intend. But even pretty tame faculty members like me have been radicalized by the administration's unwillingness to come to an agreement -- and they have had since April!


Students keep asking me what the plans are for exams, for grades, etc. and I must unfortunately tell them that I simply do not know. It is really painful not to be able to calm students' anxiety about this, but the fact is that faculty have no idea what protocol the administration has in mind for these matters.

Contingency plans for exams and grades will have to be announced by the administration

No comments: